prostate cancer statistics & facts
statistics about men
- prostate cancer is the second most common cancer in men, next to skin cancers.
- 1 out of 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer.
- 1 out 35 men will die from prostate cancer.
- prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in america; behind lung cancer.
- prostate cancer accounts for 9% of cancer-related deaths in men.
(statistics courtesy of american cancer society.)
incidence & mortality
- in 2008, it is estimated 186,000 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer and 28,660 men will die of prostate cancer.
- median age of diagnosis is 68 years of age.
- median age for death is 80 years of age.
- on average, 26 out of every 100,000 men die of prostate cancer each year.
lifetime risk and prevalence
- almost 16% of men born today will be diagnosed with prostate cancer at some point in their lifetime.
- 8% of men will be diagnosed between the ages of 50 and 70.
- as of 2005, approximately 2.1 million men were alive with a history of prostate cancer.
(statistics based on nci's seer cancer statistics review.)